Saturday, July 12, 2008

Did I mention scales suck?

When you expect a gain at the scale, it may suck but it doesn't really get under my skin. I mean, you know when you've over-indulged a bit what will likely happen.

But when you do everything RIGHT and have a gain, a BIG gain, it really blows. It gets in my head despite knowing I couldn't have done anything "better" in terms of food choices or exercising.

So here's the deal. I went to my Weight Watchers meeting hoping, no expecting, to have a good weigh in. I only lost .2 last week, and usually when I do that it's followed up by a good loss. And not just that, but I totally was 'on plan' with my eating this week, and worked out more than usual. So I hop on the scale hoping that maybe I got to my next 5lb star. Um...not so much. I gained 4.4lbs! Now, here's what I know. I did not by any stretch of the imagination consume enough calories (over 14,000 is what it would take, by the way) to gain 4.4lbs of fat. And before you suggest its a 'muscle weighs more than fat' thing, I also know there is no chance I added 4.4lbs of muscle in a week. Mari the hardbody can't even do that in a week.

I don't feel like I was retaining a lot of water, it's not that time of the month. So in short, I have no explanation for this. And that maybe what's most frustrating. Because if I can't figure it out, how do I keep it from happening again?

I know I can't control my biology, only my actions. But it's still a bitter pill to swallow. Especially when I get that dreaded "how did you do" question. Because you tell most people you gained that much and they figure you went on a Ben and Jerrys bender. But I swear I didnt. And this coming week will be a bit more challenging because my nephews are visiting and I will be faced with a few challenges. And I do not want to have a gain next week. I think I will have a full blown meltdown if I do.

4 comments:

  1. Ginny - I think you are way too awesome to have a full-blown meltdown :). Being upset about the setback and rethinking what you did over the week is exactly what you should do - but like you said sometimes that's how it goes. NSV = you ate well and worked out even more!!! Way to go!! Maybe it was combo water and muscle weight ;). Now, get out there and keep insipring the masses.
    26MAMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny - you controlled what you can control! You have an awesome attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Numbers are only tools, spokes in the wheel of your self-care. They will mess you up if you're not careful. If you are eating well and taking care of yourself, which it sounds like you did, that is the number one most important thing you can do.

    It's excellent when the numbers express the positive. But when they don't do they, just blow them away into the wind. Your good care of yourself has got to feel really good when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. undeserved gains suck. i will know start hating the scale for you!

    ReplyDelete