Sunday, August 10, 2008

I didn't want to lose my crunk!

I had every intention of going to the gym this morning. I always go on Sunday mornings. I'm always there within five minutes of the door opening so I can get in, do my thing, then get on with my day. But I woke up this morning and I didn't feel like it.


I went anyway. And, oh yeah, I ran for two minute intervals this time. (And oh yeah, Karen...after 30 minutes on the treadmill I did intervals on the elliptical for 30 minutes the way you told me and by the end I got up to resistance of 15. And you said I could only maybe do 20 minutes to start. Do you do that on purpose? Tell me I can only do something for a shorter time or fewer reps than you know Im capable of just to light that competitive fire? Love you! You're evil, but I love you!)

So why did I force myself to go? Well I didn't want to lose my crunk. Yesterday I got a tad carried away with some chocolate chips. It's over, it's done and I'm sure as hell not going to beat myself up over it. But if I gave in to my lazy feelings of not wanting to go today, I was afraid that might break the stride I'm in, so to speak. New behaviors take time to make them into habits. Old habits take minutes to take hold and take over. I don't want that to happen.

Let's face it, there are times when sticking to a new lifestyle is easy. It all feels good and like sunshine and teddy bears. You're seeing consistent results, it's new, fresh and exciting. You do the work but none of it seems like true effort. That's all well and good.

But there are times when it doesn't feel like sunshine and teddy bears. It feels like work. Hard work. You may do everything right and the scale won't budge. Its no longer warm and fuzzy. This is the make or break time. Don't let it break you. Even if you screw up a little. That does not have to break you. This is the time, I think, when pushing yourself to do the things you don't FEEL like doing are going to give you dividends far, far into the future. THIS is the time you're ingraining those behaviors into habits. If you can do it when it's hard, and when you dont FEEL like it, how awesome is that? This is where we separate the men from the boys! So man up and do it, even if you're a hot chick!

And why do I keep putting FEEL in all caps? Well, because we need to get a grip on the FEELINGS behind all of this. Feelings aren't right or wrong, they just are. But examine where they are coming from and where, if you don't check yourself, they might lead you.

Truth be told there are plenty of times I don't FEEL like working out. I don't FEEL like making something healthy for dinner. I FEEL like getting McDonald's and sitting on the couch. Those times are when I need to figure out why I FEEL like that and figure out what the real solution is. Because I don't want to lose my crunk!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for kicking your own butt and going to the gym. I really find your blog to be very inspirational, so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! :)

    I woke up sore and exhausted enough to skip my marathon bike ride, but you've inspired me to at least drag my butt to the gym for an hour today.

    With you as my buddy, I don't think I could UNCRUNKED if I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said my dear. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally hear you on this one. congrats for working through your feelings. you rock

    ReplyDelete