Thursday, October 4, 2007

Gym Anxiety

I have gym anxiety and I need to find a way to get over it. I joined a gym several months ago, and went a few times. I stopped going because it was hot in there during the hot Texas summer months, and I was doing so well on my home based program. I always knew I'd have to go back to progress on my fitness, but I figured by that time I'd be a little bit smaller and I wouldnt feel so uncomfortable about it. Well, my home based exercising has come to a screeching halt due to a foot injury. So I need to get to the gym where I can do the recumbent bike and water aerobics. But I'm petrified. I know I just need to go and get it over with. But I'd sooner touch a spider and I have a true arachnaphobia. Okay maybe my gym anxiety isn't quite as bad. Would hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions help? I don't know. There is a gym orientation class on Monday. Maybe I need to find a reward for myself to go to that orientation. I need to suck it up and get back through the door.
What am I so scared of? I'm scared of people mocking me, even in their own minds and not out loud. Im scared of not being able to do very much. I know there is no shame in starting slowly, but I could do an hour of walk away the pounds tapes and now I wonder if I can do ten minutes on the bike.
I need to work this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment