Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fear will never save you....

I listen to one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands ALL the time. I mean ALL the time. But Friday as I was driving to work, one of the lines in the song (that I sing ALL the time!) popped out at me. "Fear will never save you, but it might give you strength and courage..." I was a little bit dumbstruck at the time thinking of how often I have sang along and that line never spoke to me like it did just at that moment. FEAR will NEVER save you.
And yet, for so many years, that's exactly what I thought it was doing. If I cower away from those things that scare me, I'm safe. Right? Maybe I was safe temporarily. Maybe it saved me from rejection a few times. Maybe it saved me from failing to accomplish a goal a time or two. But would rejection or not being perfect at everything I tried have really been that devastating? I'm realizing not. I'm realizing those things just make me stronger. Like how muscles get stronger. They have to be torn down first in order to get built up stronger.

So I'm finding new resolve in pushing through those things I fear. I have a huge opportunity to face a huge fear coming up this week. If things work out they way I'd like, great. If they don't, so? It's not going to kill me. It's not going to break me down in any way. Fear of doing it won't save me. It'll just keep me from ever knowing I had the strength and courage to attempt it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. It is, in fact, exactly what I needed to hear right now!

    Good luck on whatever it is that you have coming up this week!

    ReplyDelete