Saturday, January 24, 2009

Quackery....and other randomness

It's another 2-For-1 day on my blog. Mainly because I'm stalling going to bed, despite being loaded up with muscle relaxers. And partly because I haven't posted a lot lately.

Lately I have been on major 'advice overload'. I'm really a simple creature. Give my brain too much to ponder and pretty soon I short circuit. And it has been flying at me from every angle. And some of it is just freakin ridiculous. The most recent example came Friday morning at my annual girly exam. Always a pleasant thing in and of itself. Anyway, I was told "If you want to lose weight, eat 60% of your total calories for the day at breakfast."
Seriously? That's a friggin lot of calories for one meal. Which I guess is fine because I wouldn't eat the rest of the day. I WOULD BE ASLEEP AFTER EATING ALL THAT FOOD! At let's not forget the advice was preceded by the statement "if you want to lose weight." As she showed me her chart on her laptop documenting the EIGHTY SIX POUNDS I'd lost since the last time I was there. Because certainly I could have done better by gorging myself at breakfast.

Okay, then the subject turns to my workout regimen. (Yes, there was a legitmate reason to ask.) So I laid it out there. When I mentioned the spin classes, she said "I couldn't last ten minutes in a spin class." She asked me why I work out so much ("so much" being code word for excessively.) I said it was because I want to achieve my goals. The response? "Well achieving goals is all well and good, but you don't want to drop dead."

Um.

SERIOUSLY?

I've been getting comments about the amount I exercise. And comments about how much I eat (or don't eat.) So I'm just going to lay this out there, all nice and clear.

I am not an exercise bulimic. I'm not a regular bulimic. And I'm not anorexic. I eat. Trust me. I may eat smaller amounts but I also eat more frequently. I eat all the damn time. I don't starve myself. I don't punish myself with exercise. I am simply living a healthy lifestyle. I'm willing to concede to the experts (and by experts I mean my trainer and other trainers at the gym) that with the increase in activity I need to consider eating more, particularly protein, and I'm doing that. We'll see how that works out over the next few weeks.


Now here's this for random... Went shopping today with Jessica. We were playing in the shoe department when she comes around to where I was and said "that girl just told her friend she couldn't try on shoes because 'she was having a bad foot day".

Um.

SERIOUSLY?

Okay then we were walking past a woman explaining thong underwear to her daughter. Her approximately 8 year old daughter. Yeah, because 8 year olds should be wearing thong underwear.

Um.

SERIOUSLY? (Can I just tell you, by the way, the furor that was unleashed in my family when my niece, who was about 10 at the time, came to spend the weekend at my mother's house and when she had grandma do a load of laundry, all her undies were thongs?)

Yeah. Randomness. I think I need to give in to the muscle relaxers and stop typing!

No comments:

Post a Comment