Monday, February 16, 2009

Perception

Let me start off with a slightly rhetorical question... How in the HELL are women of any age, truly supposed to have a healthy body image when all the tabloids this week (including the 'legitmate' gossip magazines) are declaring Jessica Simpson "fat" when she weighs 135lbs? According to them she's 5'3".

We now interrupt this blog post for a Public Service Announcement. Jessica Simpson would then have a BMI of 23.9. Which is NORMAL. Granted it's the upper limits of normal, but it's NORMAL. Normal is GOOD! We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog post.

Seriously? I would love to call every one of the editors of those magazines and tell them to F off. But I know, it's Hollywood. And in Hollywood, the perception is if you're at a healthy weight, you're fat. If you're anorexic, you're normal. I don't know about you, but I do not want to look like an Olsen Twin. EVER. And I'm sick and tired of being told that's what is expected of women by suggesting that an entertainer is not appealing to the public if she is NORMAL. It's sickening. Just sickening.

And while we're on the subject of perception, let me share something that transpired yesterday. I had a little get together at my house. At one point, I was sitting down next to two friends, and a co-worker said, 'is this the friend you go to the gym with' motioning to the smaller of the two girls sitting there. WRONG!! But why did she assume that? Perception. She meant no offense, I'm sure of that. But it just speaks again to what we assume, even if its not consciously, about others based solely on appearance.

For the record, the bigger girl could post a workout schedule that would put MOST people, no matter their size, to shame.

7 comments:

  1. I think she'd be shocked at the smaller girl's workout routine too - and not in a good way.

    p.s. I prefer to be your girlfriend than your workout partner anyway. hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I shouldnt be since Ive been around this world for close to 40 years but I am SHOCKED at the whole J'Simpson thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it absolutely insane?
    To think that when I'll be at goal, I'll be the same weight/height as Jessica Simpson and still be considered fat by Hollywood standards. Lovely, just lovely. Oh well, I'm not a fan of the 12-yr old boy body type on women anyway =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the record, here is the typical workout schedule for "the bigger girl":

    Monday: 30 minutes elliptical, 45 minutes spin, 60 minutes cardiofunk

    Tuesday: 30 minutes elliptical, 30 minutes with my trainer, 60 minutes spin

    Wednesday: 45 minutes spin (with an optional 30 minutes elliptical, depending on how much time I have)

    Thursday: 60 minutes cardiofunk, 30-60 minutes spin

    Friday: rest

    Saturday: 60 minutes spin, 30 minutes with my trainer, 30 minutes elliptical

    Sunday: 90-120 minutes spin

    So, yeah... that whole "don't judge a book by its cover" thing? Totally true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole Jessica Simpsom "fatgate" is insane!!! It reminds me of the headline about a year ago...when the fashion industry came out and said size 6 is the new 14??? Or size 8 is considered "plus size"....What is wrong with these people??? I agree with you! How are we ever supposed to feel good about ourselves with that kind of sh$& in our face ALL THE TIME?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why would I continue trying to lose when I'd be compared to the Hollywood scene. You try to reach the goal you set for yourself and people still look at you as fat. Not to mention, the sagging extra skin that would have to be surgically removed; this isn't Hollywood and most do not have the funds for cosmetic surgery. I say screw Hollywood, reach your goal and be confident and happy with yourself.

    ReplyDelete